Lough Neagh Fisherman's Cooperative Society Ltd
- Product Range
Lough Neagh Fishermen's Co-operative has been amongst the fore runners of wild eel producers for decades and is recognised as the largest producer of wild caught eels in Europe, producing around 400 tonnes of eels annually.
We are a Co-operative, protecting the livelihood of fishermen and building a sustainable, viable future for eel fishing on Lough Neagh.
Lough Neagh eels are mainly shipped to Holland (for smoking) and Billingsgate, London (for production of jellied eels). The remainder are processed in house for local sales and restaurant trade. Eel fishing season runs from May to Nov/Dec, so fresh eels can be purchased during this time.
'Lough Neagh Eel' was awarded PGI in 2011. This award recognises the heritage, tradition & authenticity of the best quality eels available in Europe.
In addition to stocking smoked Lough Neagh Eel, we also process other Lough Neagh fish such as Pollan, Trout and Perch which are available for sale from our site in Toome.
In April 2018, Lough Neagh Pollan was granted protected status by the European Commission, the 4th product from NI to have been recognised as a Protected Food Name (PFN) and the first to receive the status of Protected Designation of Origin (PDO).
Lough Neagh Eel
Smoked Lough Neagh Eel
Lough Neagh Pollan
Lough Neagh Trout (Dollaghan)
Lough Neagh Perch
Our on-site shop has the full range of products all year round as frozen. Fresh product is available when in season but must be pre-orderd before collection.
Foodservice distributors such as La Rousse and Henderson Food Group and BD Foods as well as Fish Wholesalers such as Ewing's Seafood, Keenan Seafood, Donegal Prime Fish and Elmore Fish, stock some products as frozen, to ensure an all year round supply.
Wild-caught Lough Neagh Eel is a favourite with many chefs, including Paula McIntyre (see below for picture of fried eel with soda bread and onions). Not only do they applaud its PGI status, for that in itself is a true reflection of its quality and authenticity but they just love the taste and texture of this truly indigenous fish.
- Lough Neagh Fishermen's Co-operative Society Ltd is currently certified to The SALSA Standard (Issue 4)
- Blas na h'Eireann 2023 (Irish Food Awards): Bronze for Wild Lough Neagh Trout Fillet in a Garlic and Herb Mayonnaise
- Great Taste Award 2023 1* each for our Wild Lough Neagh Trout Fillet in a Garlic & Herb Marinade and Lough Neagh Smoked Eel
- Great Taste Award 2018 1* for Dollaghan (Lough Neagh Trout)
- Lough Neagh Eel in conjunction with Lough Neagh Partnership won Best Marketing Initiative, Eel-Eat, for both the NI YOFAD Awards 2016 and Northern Ireland Tourism Awards 2017. Smoked Lough Neagh Eel was also highly commended for the category, Food Innovation.
- Great Taste Award 2017 3* for Smoked Lough Neagh Eel
Contact this supplier
Content is the property of the supplier and is not owned by BuyNIFood.